Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Independence Day!




Every 4th of July, I try to find a different spot to take shots of the amazing fireworks display at Empire State Plaza.  This year a couple of my potential locations fell through (could not get on top of the buildings I wanted to!) and I was thinking of skipping the shoot.  However, yesterday, I decided that I really didn't want to miss this once a year event.  So after work (yes, I had to work yesterday), I started scrambling. 

As I was crossing over the Hudson River into Rensselaer, I noticed the bridge work that was being done and one of the lanes was closed.  I swung over into the closed lane, got out of the car and had a pretty decent view.  However, it seemed like a fairly dangerous location and with folks rubbernecking, they might not have noticed me.  There was also a good chance that the cops would have spotted me and kicked me out.  Somewhat regretfully, I rejected the location.

After checking out some other spots from across the river I headed further up into Rensselaer and came across some folks that had an amazing view of the Plaza. I had actually taken a skyline shot from there almost 20 years ago, before there were any houses. Its such a great view that every year they host a Fourth of July viewing party with their friends and family.  They graciously granted me permission to set up and shoot the show!  I'm not gonna reveal the exact location, because I'm sure they think their annual 4th blowout is big enough!  But, I just wanted to say thank you for letting me crash your party!  Oh, and I owe you an enlargement of your favorite shot!

Click on any of the photos above for a bigger view!

No comments:

Post a Comment